Tuesday, January 13, 2009

MOVIES- The Mummy (III)- Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

I thought that EAGLE EYE was bad, even for a summer movie. But that was before I watched THE MUMMY (III)- CURSE OF THE DRAGON EMPEROR. None of the silly fun, or self-deprecating wit of the first movie is evident. I’ve read that this was a movie born of corporate synergy between Universal Studios and NBC’s Olympics coverage since both companies are owned by the same Uber-conglomerate. I don’t know if that is true but this movie is so formulaic and uninspired that I can easily believe it was dreamed up by marketing.

I could talk about how this movie occurs in a parallel universe where the first two movies were actually stories written by Brendan Frasier’s wife. Rachael Weitz’s replacement in introduced by denying any similarity between herself and the character in the books. But I’m not going to do that because it’s the best part of the movie and it still isn’t very good.

They even screwed up the fight between Michelle Yeoh and Jet Li.

No comments: